Proper management of the workforce is essential for our clients' success. Our attorneys recognize the importance of this and the importance of proactively working with our clients to effectively and efficiently manage their workforces. We represent employers in all aspects of the myriad issues that confront management on a daily basis.
Our proactive employment attorneys counsel employers on all employment laws and regulations, including Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, and state fair employment practices laws. They also help our clients effectively manage their workforces through drafting, implementation, negotiation and management of employment contracts and executive compensation agreements. Our attorneys are also regularly called upon to draft, revise and advise employers about policies and handbooks to comply with the numerous federal, state and local laws and regulations that govern the workplace.
When litigation cannot be avoided, our employment attorneys are skilled trial lawyers, and they defend our clients in a cost-effective manner. They develop an aggressive strategy to defend each lawsuit and develop cost and risk determinations at each step of the litigation so that our clients can make the best decision for their business.
We represent clients in a number of other employment-related areas that affect our clients' businesses, including counseling our clients and defending them in litigation involving employee benefits, ERISA and related matters.
Specific areas of experience include:
- Defending against discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge and other employee claims
- Defending multi-party and class action employee claims
- Defending claims involving breach of employment-related contracts and benefit plans
- Representing employers with unionized workforces in arbitration proceedings under collective bargaining agreements
- Representing employers in drafting, negotiating and implementing effective executive compensation agreements
- Defending employers being audited by the Department of Labor, particularly with respect to wage and hour issues
- Designing and implementing personnel policies and procedures, employee training and arbitration programs
- Investigating allegations of employee misconduct and discrimination claims
- Advising employers concerning disciplinary actions, terminations and reduction-in-force
- Counseling employers concerning equal employment opportunity planning and compliance
- Drafting, negotiating and enforcing confidentiality, non-competition, non-solicitation and severance agreements
Our lawyers are frequent authors and lecturers on employment law topics and contribute to the firm's Texas Employer Handbook blog, a resource providing employment law insights for Texas businesses.
Access to Resources and General Counsel Capabilities
As a full service firm, we are uniquely positioned to effectively represent and counsel clients beyond routine or the most complex labor and employment matters. When a client's need goes beyond the expertise or jurisdiction of an employment law attorney, our firm has a worldwide network of lawyers for international and cross-border issues and other Gray Reed attorneys who focus on areas such as banking & finance, energy, construction, healthcare, intellectual property, tax, real estate, white-collar defense, mergers & acquisitions, private equity, appellate and commercial litigation. These resources allow us to serve as outside general counsel for our clients and help solve nearly any issue they may face in the life cycle of their business.
Why Clients Feel at Home at Gray Reed
Your experience with our employment attorneys will be fully aligned with your goals and objectives and tailored specifically to how you want to do business with us. Our lawyers are adaptable and nimble – you will never be forced into a box that doesn’t fit your opportunity or problem, or your needs and desires. Whether we are your longtime advisors on employment-related issues or representing you in the courtroom, you’ll be comfortable with our skill and practical approach. We know exactly when to turn up the heat and when collaboration is the smartest way for you to achieve your goals.