Our transactional attorneys have significant experience representing clients in merger and acquisition transactions in the U.S. and abroad. We counsel equity owner management teams/founders, private equity funds, venture capital funds, boards of directors, special committees and investment bankers in forming, financing, operating, acquiring and selling companies and their assets. Our clients range from public companies with international operations, private equity funds and venture capital firms to startups, privately-held entities and family offices.
We assist our clients in formulating structure and negotiating positions necessary to complete a broad range of transactions, including:
- Acquisitions and dispositions of equity securities and assets, including strategic and private equity acquisitions and divestitures, auctions and competitive bidding transactions, joint ventures, cross-border transactions and spin-offs
- Mergers, roll-ups and consolidations
- Complex partnership formations and finance transactions to fund capital calls over time, balance governance concerns of management and private equity funds, and structure liquity events, including through drag-along rights, tag-along rights, IPOs, recapitalizations, rights of first refusal or first purchase, roll-ups and other creative structures
- Reporting, disclosure and regulatory compliance
- Capitalization and recapitalization of entities
- Going-private transactions
Since 2018, our transactional team has handled more than $7 billion in closed mergers and acquisitions in a variety of industries including upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas sectors; mineral interest and royalty acquisitions; oilfield services; saltwater disposal; chemical and product manufacturing; environmental remediation; crane rigging services; steel erection service; medical devices; multi-family residential developments; and restaurants. With relevant experience and intuitive counseling, we are able to provide each client efficient solutions, whether buyer or seller side.
Industry Recognition & Involvement
Our transactional team handles transactions of all sizes, with representative experience on transactions involving several million dollars of deal value to over $3.5 billion. Several of our team members and high-profile transactions have received awards.
- 2020 - The Association for Corporate Growth Houston named two Gray Reed deals as finalists in two M&A Deal of the Year categories - Oil & Gas Deal of the Year (less than $500MM) and Technology & Business Deal of the Year.
- 2019 - The M&A Advisor recognized our work with RadiaDyne and their acquisition into AngioDynamics by naming it the "Healthcare/Life Sciences Deal of the Year (Under $100 million)".
- 2018 - The M&A Advisor honored the majority capitalization of Patriot Erectors by Hillstar Capital and Ranch Creek Partners, a transaction on which our attorneys advised, as the “M&A Deal of the Year ($25MM - $50MM)”. The transaction was also one of five finalists in the “Industrials Deal of the Year ($10MM - $50MM)” category.
Many of our transactional attorneys currently serve or have recently served in leadership roles for industry-specific organizations, including board positions with the Association for Corporate Growth, Houston Bar Association, Dallas Bar Association, American Association of Professional Landmen and Houston Tax Roundtable.
Access to Resources and General Counsel Capabilities
As a full service firm, we have attorneys whose practices support the transactional attorneys including in the areas of tax, finance, antitrust, intellectual property, regulatory, executive compensation, employee benefits, real estate, bankruptcy, labor and employment, environmental and corporate governance. With each transaction, whether leading due diligence, supporting in-house counsel or providing special counsel on carved-out issues, we pride ourselves on leading a coordinated and seamless approach no matter the transaction structure.
In addition to the wealth of knowledge within our firm, we also have a global network of lawyers for international and cross-border issues when a client's need goes beyond the expertise or jurisdiction of a Gray Reed attorney. These resources allow us to serve as outside general counsel for our clients and help solve nearly any issue they may face in the life cycle of their business.